A dishwasher that won’t start leaves plenty of time to ponder the problem as you hand wash every dish. Why won’t my Maytag dishwasher start? A power issue may be responsible, preventing the dishwasher from turning on. Troubleshoot the most likely reasons your Maytag dishwasher won’t start and cut down your kitchen time with the right solutions.
What To Do When Your Maytag Dishwasher Won’t Start
When your Maytag dishwasher won’t start it’s easy to assume a part malfunction requires a repair. While this may be the case, a variety of other reasons, from power problems to water supply issues, could be responsible. Here’s how to determine what’s really going on.
1. Dishwasher Is Not Getting Power
Before considering a malfunction, Maytag dishwasher troubleshooting should begin with a power assessment. If the dishwasher isn’t getting adequate power, it won’t be able to turn on.
These power issues can prevent a dishwasher from starting:
- Using an extension cord: An extension cord can’t safely conduct the voltage a dishwasher requires. Make sure the dishwasher is properly plugged into a working outlet with a standard cord.
- Power switch is off: The switch that turns on the dishwasher’s electrical power may be mistakenly turned off. Locate the switch (it may be under the sink) and make sure it’s in the on position.
- Tripped breaker or blown fuse: Check your home’s circuit breaker or fuse box, replacing blown fuses or resetting tripped breakers.
In some instances, resetting the dishwasher can resolve a power issue. Wondering how to reset a Maytag dishwasher? Simply unplug it, wait one minute, and plug it back in. If the dishwasher is hardwired to your home’s power supply, turn off its breaker in your circuit breaker box. Wait one minute before turning it on again.
2. Door Not Fully Closed and Latched
As a safety precaution, a Maytag dishwasher won’t start if the door isn’t completely closed and latched. Oftentimes, a protruding dishwasher rack will prevent the door from closing. Make sure racks are properly inserted and that loaded items allow them to retract completely. When closing the door, be sure to give it a firm push to fully engage the latch.
If the dishwasher door still won’t close properly, it’s possible the latch is broken and can’t keep the door securely closed. When this happens, the dishwasher won’t start until the latch is replaced.
3. Need to Change Dishwasher Cycle Settings
Most Maytag dishwashers won’t start unless you first select a wash cycle. Make sure you select your desired function before pressing START/RESUME on the control panel. Certain functions can prevent an immediate start when enabled. Usually, these functions will illuminate on the control panel via a light or icon.
The following Maytag dishwasher functions can prevent a dishwasher from starting:
- Control Lock: Prevents unintended use of the dishwasher. Consult your user manual to determine how to turn off this function on your model dishwasher. Usually, Control Lock is disabled by holding down the appropriate button for 3 seconds.
- Sleep Mode: When newly installed or after a long period of disuse, the dishwasher may be in Sleep Mode and not respond when a button is pushed. To disable Sleep Mode, press START/RESUME or open and close the door.
- Delayed Start: Delays the start of a wash cycle to a preset later time. To disable the Delayed Start function, press CANCEL/DRAIN followed by START/RESUME.
If these functions aren’t engaged and the dishwasher doesn’t respond when a button is pushed, the control panel may be wet or damaged. While a wet control panel may resume function when dry, a damaged panel requires replacement.
4. Problem With Dishwasher Water Supply
If there is adequate power, a Maytag dishwasher not starting may have a water supply issue.
Here are water supply issues that can keep a dishwasher from starting:
- Improper connection: Make sure the dishwasher’s water supply hose is properly connected to your home’s hot water pipe and that the supply valve is on.
- Water supply hose is bent or pinched: Try to gently straighten or reposition the hose to allow water to flow, making sure that the dishwasher isn’t pinching the hose when it’s pushed back in place. A damaged hose must be replaced.
- Faulty water inlet valve: If the dishwasher’s water inlet valve is faulty, it may not open to allow water to enter the dishwasher. A faulty valve requires replacement.
5. Defective Maytag Dishwasher Parts
If your Maytag dishwasher won’t start after trying these tips, it’s possible a defective part is responsible.
These part malfunctions can result in starting problems and require replacement via a dishwasher repair service:
- Blown thermal fuse: A thermal fuse will blow if it’s defective or if the dishwasher is close to overheating. In either case the dishwasher won’t start until the fuse is replaced.
- Faulty control board: This computerized component powers most dishwasher functions. If it’s faulty, there won’t be any voltage to transmit commands or signals.
- Defective timer: The timer governs each dishwasher cycle by regulating how long each receives power. While rare, a defective timer won’t provide the necessary power for each function.
The team at Appliance King of America can answer any appliance question from dishwasher maintenance tips to repair concerns. Schedule your consultation with us today!